Friday, January 13, 2012

Introduction

Hello, my name is Heather Mannarino and I am a student in Mr. Gallagher’s Facing History and Ourselves semester one class. This class is all about who you, and who you want to be. The focus is mainly on the Holocaust, because in my history book there are only three pages on it. We watched films on the technicalities of the Holocaust, how it began, what happened during, and how it ended. Then, we saw the emotional side of it, the perspective of the Jews. Seeing it the Holocaust through the eyes of those affected, changes you. It’s not only about the Holocaust either, but about bullying, and manners, racism, and watched empowerment films about people making a positive difference in the world. I chose this course because I wanted answers to why someone would kill another man because of race, religion, or gender. I have a curiosity for how biases start and racism and how it comes to be. I can’t imagine being completely rude to another person, let alone slaughtering thousands of people a day. I have seen humanity at their absolute worst in this class. From seeing people hurt and destroyed by the Nazis, and from seeing little kids walking to their death, I cannot stand by and watch anymore. This class will make you want to stand up to people, and make a difference. I have become a better person from this class. Tolerance is what I learned and that nobody is ever inferior to you. No one is beneath another person. The world just needs to be reminded of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment